On this Thanksgiving Day of 2013, it is important that we gather our families around us and give thanks for the simple things that motivate our lives: our families and friends; our faith and the daily rewards of our own hard work. We celebrate life on this day with great food and drink, and the occasional football game in the yard or on the television. Many of us also stop at some point during the day to remember those who have gone before us and those we have lost.
It is increasingly common these days to approach a holiday like this one with trepidation. A number of those among us struggle with the consequences of the foolish and harmful policies that emanate from D.C. on an almost daily basis. Good jobs are increasingly hard to find, while the prices of essential items continue to climb. The threats to our freedoms posed by our own government hang like a dark cloud over our heads.
If you are like me, you are angry at the harm done to America and Americans by a government that no longer serves its country’s interests. But you are angrier yet at a population of voting adults who have aided, and in many cases cheered this process, seemingly happy to trade their liberty for the illusion of security, and unaware of the consequences.
So on this day, I would like to stop and remind those Americans who, like me, keep faith with and give thanks for the roots from which rose our exceptional America, of the reasons why we should continue to work to one day see the restoration of all that was once so great about our nation:
- Americans who believe in their rights to liberty and private property still outnumber the statists who are working to take them from us
- The Second Amendment continues to this day, and remains, as George Washington once said, “…the people’s liberty teeth”
- Americans use this divine right – the licensed hunters of just three states would together comprise the largest standing army in the world
- Statism of every stripe across all of history has always met with failure
- Examples of the impending failure of statism are all around us (Solyndra, Detroit, Obamacare, etc), and all we need do is point them out
- The cult of personality built around our illegitimate President is disintegrating under the weight of ideological overreach
- The time for real Americans to step forward grows nearer with each new statist failure and national crisis
This is my short list. You are welcome to make your own additions in the comments. For my part, I am thankful for this community of like-minded patriots who together keep the constitutional flame of liberty lit, for the day when our flame can be returned to light the torch of national pride in our exceptional nation.