We are watching, and laughing at, the enemy forces known as the #Occupy Movement. And with good reason. Looked at from the point of view of specific goals for their actions [or inactions] , the tactical utility of those actions, or any sense of political logic to those actions; they are as fucked up as a truckload of football bats. As we watch today, amongst all the reports of rapes of males and females, murder, drugs, and other felonies associated with their sites; we have outbreaks of TB, scabies, ringworm, some form of pneumonic flu referred to as “Zuccotti Lung”, Canine Parvovirus, and an assortment of parasites not seen en-masse in the Western world outside of war zones since the Middle Ages.
Their personal habits and hygiene, proudly displayed for all to see, are best defined as pre-civilized. Their public vandalism and open calls for the death of those more wealthy than them, the abolition of capitalism, the installation of Socialism, and their purposeful interference with the lives of those outside their movement are not designed to win followers or convince the uninvolved that they are the wave of the future to join.
Note that I said “tactical” utility above. Tactically, they are losing at every point of contention. Strategically, they are winning without any opposition.
Our scoffing at the idiocy projected nationwide does not mean that they are not fulfilling their goals. I means that we, perhaps, are not comprehending what their real goal is. Let us review events, and perhaps see if their plans become manifest.
1. They are supported totally by the Democratic Party, the regime, and all their allies on the Left. There is an amazing degree of unanimity on the Left on the subject. Besides being put together by Obama appointees and allies, it has the vocal and active support of literally the White House, the Majority Democratic Caucus in the Senate, the Minority Democratic Caucus in the House, the Democrat mayors of the cities where they have set up [to the point where they have been functionally exempted from any legal requirements placed on all other citizens and from enforcement of criminal statutes], Democrat Unions [Teamsters, SEIU, AFSCME in particular], pretty much every NGO that supports the Left including ACORN in its new incarnations, the National Lawyers Guild, and every Communist and Socialist Party in the US. And amazingly, also the American NAZI Party.
This is an amazing concatenation of the enemies of a constitutional republic, and it is as accidental and random as the detailed railroad timetable annexes to the Schiefflin Plan.
2. This ain’t cheap. They are being supported by someone with deep pockets. I and others have noted that when evicted, they abandon some very expensive camping equipment, laptop computers, etc. as if they have no personal attachment to them. As if someone is issuing it, and they can get more.
The operation itself is expensive. While Diane Sawyer of ABC News has claimed that Occupy is active in “thousands of countries” [all of which I assume will apply for UN membership so as to be able to vote against the existence of Israel]; functionally we are dealing with major demonstrations in about a score of US cities, plus a number of foreign cities. Each US city, while they do not have the expenses of permits, insurance, etc. does have to deal with food, agit-prop supplies, power, etc. It is interesting that all of the major cities seem to have accumulated a financial surplus over and above day to day needs. The NYC #Occupy claims to have a half million dollars in funds. Other cities claim to have from 5 to 6 figures. It is coming from somewhere, and there is neither any accounting for the money, no taxes paid, and none of the details that the rest of us have to endure from either the DEA or Homeland Security. Try moving $10,000 or more in cash yourself. You would be up to your ass in Feds before the money was counted. And try to deposit checks for those amounts without taxpayer ID’s or SSN’s so that the bank can generate the appropriate 1099 form at the end of the year. Yet we know that [ironically] that the #Occupy movement has at least a few accounts with Well Fargo.
Then there is the matter of paying at least some of the demonstrators. Jim McGrath, chairman of the D.C. Tenants Advocacy Coalition that an organizer of #OccupyDC has admitted to paying demonstrators.
Craigslist had a posting [now expired] offering “pay + benefits” for “direct action” with #OccupyWallStreet.
and at least one protestor at #OccupyChicago claims that it is his full time job, and he is being paid $22 an hour to demonstrate.
I believe that if you or I had hired someone, or a bunch of someone’s, under the table to do any job; we would once again have all sorts of bureaucrats crawling up our asses with warrants about taxes, unemployment insurance, hours, working conditions, etc. The same thing that anyone who actually wants to legally hire someone has to go through. Who is paying, and under what cover?
Of course, when you are doing the will of a government that considers itself above the rule of law, you can get away with things like this. “It’s good to be the Commissar.”
Similar financial transactions, at least for the support functions, are taking place overseas. And things are far more expensive in Europe, and they have the bureaucracy that Obama has wet dreams about. Someone is putting up more than a little bit of cash, and they have the clout to ignore the law there too.
Any guesses as to who the sugar daddy might be? And any expectation that the laws we have to follow will be enforced on the #Occupy movement and its sponsors?
3. Next there is the matter of the people involved. This is not the spontaneous uprising of an outraged proletariat, marching in solidarity into the future. Nor is it motivated by the desire for what any of us would call the “American Dream”. The “Stasi” Dream, perhaps, but not an American Dream. The spontaneity is disproved by a nationwide simultaneous outbreak of the kind of absolute conformity that can only come from guidance from above. Signs, slogans, graphic styles are the same. Iosif Vissarionovich would recognize and approve of the Socialist Realism. The home made signs are either rehashes of the printed material [especially the calls to destroy capitalism] or non sequitors. To the limited extent that any of the #Occupy critters can expound on why they are there, it comes out in broken slogans parroted that they cannot or will not either explain or defend. There is no philosophy or logic behind it, just mindless repetition.
The slogans, the graphics, the commands come from the top down. Ultimately from whoever owns those deep pockets we discussed. That is the center of the circle, what Orwell would call the Inner Party. In 1984, the Inner Party was <2% of the total population. In fact, I suspect the #Occupy equivalent that is coordinating actions in the US and overseas is probably far less than that, even if you count the White House and DNC staff involved and Democrat elected officials collaborating. The question remains, who makes up this inner group. There is no question that they mean both this country and Western civilization ill.
Following up on the Orwell metaphor, there is a larger Outer Party. It is no coincidence that every #Occupy site has the same form of “governance” based on chanting, shouting down unauthorized thoughts and comments, and in the hands of an unaccountable and secretive group. Once again, the uniformity implies top down control. And the occasional violent actions by uniformed groups acting to a tactical plan does also. q.v. the “ninjas” in Oakland
Finally, there are what Orwell would call the Proles. This is the mass of the participants, better than 90%. Who are they? A goodly fraction of them are part of the wandering herd of professional Leftist demonstrators who turn up at all WTO meetings, Republican conventions, etc. Then there are the local homeless and clueless who will join in anything. There is a significant segment of college graduates whose degrees are worthless during the Obama Depression, and who need someone to blame. For that generation has been told all its life that nothing is their fault, they are not responsible for anything, and they deserve all the goodies, because they are “special”. [I am trying hard to not insert short-bus jokes here.] Finally, there are the Union members sent in by order of their locals to help. Much of Thursday’s “Day of Action” in NYC manpower was furnished by the AFL-CIO and the SEIU.
4. While present at any of the #Occupy sites, the Proles are subjected to what most of us here would recognize as some fairly well known psychological conditioning techniques. They are isolated from outside sources of competing information. All the day to day needs of the Proles are provided by the “beneficent” #Occupy movement, however inadequately; and the normal creature comforts are insulted and made to seem bad. The living conditions are atrocious, and are made to represent proof of a shared sacrifice and shared values between #Occupy and the Proles. They are surrounded by high intensity exposure to the anti-capitalist, anti-American, anti-western values memes that are being pushed by the Outer Party controllers. The constant use of rhythmic noise, be it drumming or chanting reinforces the messages being delivered. And the operation of the General Assemblies where competing voices are shouted down, ruled out of order, and occasionally afterwards “rewarded” by physical violence acts as further reinforcement.
To be honest, with the exception of the professional Demonstrators; these are not the world’s greatest experts in critical thinking, possessors of cool detached judgment, or those with any real knowledge base of history, economics, or politics. Their reality-testing is already handicapped by the fact that they were educated in the US, and in many cases in American higher education. The poor sods don’t have a chance. This, for many of them, is the most “meaningful” thing that they have done in their entire freaking life. They are creating a primary group loyalty to the #Occupy Movement.
5. It has been apparent for some time that the #Occupy movement has been hoping to provoke an over-reaction by the authorities. They want martyrs, a Horst Wessel perhaps. Keep in mind that the Journo-List 2.0 state-controlled media was beating the drum for another Kent State. The martyrdom of “one of their own”, or any imposition on any segment of “their” #Occupy Movement will cement the loyalty of the new recruits. And to be honest, any eventual removal from their “liberated” areas, however peaceful, may in itself suffice to cement that loyalty.
The “Inner Party” is fighting a looming deadline. The longer this goes on, the more likely it is to self-destruct. I had hoped that the Nor’Easter last month would have made sufficient #Occupy-cicles to have collapsed it. Barring a visit from Al Gore, and the attendant guaranteed blizzards; probably the weather is not going to chase the buggers back to their mother’s basements.
It was mentioned elsewhere, truthfully, that anyone who has seen a Girl Scout Camp or a Boy Scout Jamboree has to have contempt for this group of lop-earred duds. For those who have not dealt with Scouting, you can gather hundreds if not thousands of Scouts in a group; and the place will be largely run by teenage kids. And they will do it well. Everyone will be fed, housed, and sanitation will be taken care of in exemplary fashion. And they will pose no problems for those around them.
The #Occupy Movement is composed of those who are not known for civitas, avoidance of anti-social behavior, or dealing appropriately with the rigors of maintaining a healthy environment when you gather a large number of people in a small space. And it shows.
There have been murders, aggravated and simple assaults [my favorite was the report of a woman setting fire to someone’s clothes, and they were not sure if he was wearing them at the time], multiple rapes of males and females, underage girls being pimped, and of course drug overdoses and open markets for drugs in plain sight. And that is just the behavioral problems. As noted in the beginning, they are becoming petri dishes for diseases that have not been common for generations. Admitting that I am still not a nice person; I am hoping for an outbreak of septicemic Yersinia pestis, cholera, or typhus. And given that the largest gatherings are in the most liberal enclaves; the not-nice person in me would not mind if it spread to those enclaves. Modern medicine in the real world outside that of “Mic Checks” and “up Twinkles” can treat and contain them, and the outbreak might be an object lesson for the locals.
If they do not have their Kent State or Grant Park Chicago moment soon, at least one of the sites may collapse into total chaos. The publicity may discredit the entire movement if it is messy enough, and these critters are not tidy. So watch for more provocations.
6. There are a lot of machinations here, none of which make any sort of sense in the normal political world. You know, that political world that the Institutional Republicans are grossly incompetent in. But there is a key point that modifies everything, and which is absolutely consistent with everything that this regime has been doing. The regime and its Democrat satraps have, in collusion with the state-controlled media, been very effective in the parallel goal of creating the legal, political, and cultural meme that the actions of #Occupy and like groups are effectively not subject to the laws and regulations that everybody else has to deal with. They are above, or outside of, them; and their actions cannot and will not be judged by those standards.
First Amendment rights to protest are guaranteed, but they are not absolute. They are subject to the scope of criminal statutes [If you tar and feather a TWANLOC, y’all will be arrested.] The Supreme Court has settled the matter of reasonable time, place, and politically neutral restrictions on demonstrations. It ain’t something new.
If you have a mass demonstration [or any public gathering such as a concert], you can be and are required to pay the appropriate permit fees, buy liability insurance, meet a variety of sanitation requirements, and follow all appropriate laws and procedures involved in serving food. Then there are fire codes and other life safety matters. The TEA Party sure is. And having helped a friend find out what would be required to move a concert weekend to my town, I know that concerts sure are.
#Occupy has not been held to any of these standards, nor have they paid the fees. No level of government with an #Occupy site has made any real attempt at all to bring them into, and keep them in, legal compliance. They may chase them out, but they let them right back in. Nor have they dealt with any of the violations of criminal or civil statutes being committed by the act of #Occupying. And the violations of criminal law noted above are being ignored as much as possible. As are the violations when they leave the #Occupy sites. Civilian bystanders and business owners are told that they just have to suck it up. The law will not protect them.
If you listen to these critters speak, they have absorbed the idea that they are above the law. If you listen to the regime, it agrees with them.
7. This has profound implications for the conduct of the campaign and elections of 2012 if they do in fact take place [remember in October, all the Democrat elected and appointed officials calling for cancelling elections/ an American version of "Arab Spring" and reducing the role of elected officials] and the political dynamics if they do not.
This entire regime has been consistently concerned with reducing the “rule of law” in every field. I have been worried about aspects of this for quite some time. In 2009 I wrote something that still seems to be applicable, and indeed more on point today. This was written shortly after ACORN thugs began attacking the AIG employees who had stayed behind to try to help the government untangle the mess.
You have to understand the motivations behind the ACORN mobbing. The AIG employees were never more than an incidental target. No matter whether or not they gave back their pay for the year or not; the mobs and the deliberate “pitchforks” statement by Buraq Hussein had another audience completely. Or actually two audiences.
The first audience was the deliberate target of government sponsored mass terrorism. It was a message to the entire population of the country that the Organs of State Power, and their ‘unofficial’ ideological godchildren could operate outside the law with impunity and threaten and extort anyone. It was the criminal law equivalent of the abandonment of the rule of law by the government that was later manifested in the field of commercial law with the takeovers of the auto industry. The fact that this was done and triggered absolutely no response by the political opposition, and indeed by the social groups who could be expected to support the rule of law shows how far we have fallen. The “It can’t happen here!” phenomenon is triumphant, and the line has been crossed. The very fact that this group of intelligent, concerned devotees of liberty is now worrying about the next government move is indicative of how the battlefield has been shaped.
The second audience was the legion of Buraq’s supporters. They now know that if they ally themselves with the new regime that they are safe to go outside the law [societal, moral, and statutory] with impunity, because the State will protect them. That same promise has been made to the minions of any totalitarian regime; Sturm Abteilung, Chekisti, or Moro Islamic Liberation Front.
If there was a mass demonstration outside Jamie Gorelick’s house, it would bring down the full force of both the law, and the ‘anti-law’ being created. A mass movement is a mass target. We are about to see this in relationship to the Tea Party movement. We are on the edge of physical confrontations between ACORN/SEIU thugs and Tea Party demonstrators.
Mobs and mass terror created by them are, assuming actual control of the polity by the government; tools of a regime. If an opposition group can successfully use mob tactics it means that either in the Marxist cant; the ‘correlation of forces’ is already against the government, or that the government is restrained by moral/legal/constitutional barriers that the opposition is not.
In this case, Buraq has full control of the government and the State organs of propaganda, the official opposition is Petainist, and the popular opposition is embryonic and does not really understand what they are in for. There will be no successful mobbing from the opposition until the issue is all but decided.
#102 Annoy Mouse had a handle on the opposite tactic to the mobs. Individuals targeted individually for their specific actions are the counterpart to the mass tactics of a regime. There is a balance of power and fear at work in any totalitarian society. Those in power have absolutely no practical fear of or expectation of consequences for their actions against the people. They are unconstrained by anything but fear of losing favor with those above them in the food chain.
Those out of power live with a constant background of fear of State action. So long as the scales tip that way, liberty is in chains.
In the thread where I wrote this, one sub-theme was the concept of being on the cusp of irrevocable events. That is more urgent today.
There is a continuity from the events of 2009 to date that has implications that we had best be prepared for. The current regime has been and is creating a force that can be called into use for “Direct Action” in the streets to attack its political opponents. This creation has been done without opposition, and they are succeeding. #Occupy is part of that overarching plan. To the best of my knowledge, this has only been noticed publicly by Bill Quick at DAILY PUNDIT.
There may be other not-nice-persons who have pondered this. I am pretty sure that the fools, miscreants, maladroits, and unindicted co-conspirators who run the Institutional Republicans have no concept of the reality of street politics. And they will deny the reality even after they are run over.
8. That leaves the matter of contingency planning. We can assume, as the most likely first order probability, that if the enemy uses Direct Action against the Institutional Republicans [especially if they get their way and Romney is the nominee] that after being totally outside the enemy’s OODA loop for a depressingly long time; that they will curtail the scope of their campaign in the name of public safety. The burden is going to fall on Patriots; TEA Party, Oathkeepers, or whoever.
The first point is going to have to be that Patriots do not yield to threats. The enemy will have the initiative, at least at first. So we must be ready to ride out the first blow. There are certain preparations that should become standard.
a. Before any political gathering, an analysis needs to be done of the venue and the routes of approach. These analysis’ need to include threat axis’ at the venue and along the routes.
b. Given the happy ubiquity of digital cameras, either stand alone or as part of a phone, coverage from secure positions of the approach and the venue to enable evidence to be gathered and/or disseminated online must be part of the preparations.
c. Similar extensive digital camera coverage from within the gathering must be planned and carried out. This must be placed to not only record attacks from without, but by provocateurs within.
d. Planning must be made to allow the safe withdrawal of non-combatant women and children in the event of an attack, said plans being made for both the approach routes to the gathering, and from the gathering itself.
e. Response group(s) of Patriots will need to be located so as to be able to place themselves between any threat that arises, and the gathering. Their reaction capabilities and protocols will need to be determined by the local situation and the history and the nature of previous Direct Actions against Patriots. Allowance will need to be made for the presence of decoy threats.
f. It is accepted that this is a tactically defensive posture. It is noted that a permanent tactical defensive configuration yields the initiative to the enemy and guarantees eventual defeat. It is beyond the scope of this piece to discuss other applications of the Tactical, Operational, and Strategic arts. However, don’t let that stop anyone else from thinking about it.
Their Maskirova has worked to date. That cannot be allowed to be a permanent situation. We have to avoid giving them their Horst Wessel. And be ready if they get him.
And now that you mention it, besides not being nice; I am also not feeling all that full of good cheer for the future.
LC Subotai Bahadur, Lord Pao An